Questions to ask your insurance provider about mental health benefits and out of network providers
*Please note that Dr. Foss does not currently accept insurance unless you are a Caltech student who has the Caltech Student Health Insurance. However, if you would like to submit claims to your insurance on your own, she will gladly provide you with a superbill to aid in the reimbursement process*
Prior to seeing a therapist it can be helpful to contact your insurance provider to clarify your mental health benefits and what your financial responsibilities will be. Many insurance companies will provide some level of reimbursement (sometimes partial, sometimes full) for out of network providers, which can help offset the cost of therapy. When checking your benefits, simply call the number on the back of your insurance card or listed on the insurance website for mental health (often referred to as behavioral health) benefits. Once you’ve located the right number, here are some helpful questions to ask:
- What do I need to do in order to see an out of network provider?
- Can I be reimbursed for the costs of therapy if I am seeing an out of network provider? If so, do I need to submit claims in order to receive reimbursement
- Is there a deductible I have to meet?
- For how many sessions can I be seen/is there a session limit?
- Do i have to get pre-approval prior to seeing a therapist?
If you will be submitting claims:
- What information will you need from me or my therapist in order for my claims to be paid?
- Where do I send my claims/how are claims submitted?
- Approximately how long does it take to receive a reimbursement?